Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Good by S. Walden - Review

Cadence Miller is a good girl. She just happens to make one terrible mistake her junior year in high school which costs her ten months in juvenile detention. Now a senior, she’s lost everything: her best friend, the trust of her parents, driving privileges, Internet access. It’s a lonely existence.

But there is one bright spot: Mark Connelly, her very cute, very off-limits 28-year-old calculus teacher. She falls hard for him—a ridiculous schoolgirl crush headed nowhere. She can’t help it. He’s the only good thing at Crestview High. She doesn’t expect him to reciprocate her feelings. How inappropriate, right? But he does. And he shows her.

And that’s when her life goes from bad to good.


~~~~

It's 5am.  What the hell am I doing up right?  I'm on vacation and I should be sleeping in.  I woke up around 2am and couldn't go back to sleep, so I picked up my Kindle and started to read Good by S. Walden.

It's good (no pun intended).  So freaking good, I can't even stand it.  So here I am.  Typing up this review when I should be relaxing.  I can't help it.  Everyone needs to hear how good his book is.


"I was expected to always be perfect.  I was never allowed to make a mistake, and when I finally did, I paid the ultimate price.  Not only did they not forgive me and probably never would, but I don't think they even liked me anymore."

Cadence Miller is your quintessential good girl.  Gets good grades, goes to church and is active in her youth group.  One night, one mistake was all it took for her to mess it all up.  She is sentenced to 10 months in juvenile detention.  Her parents don't trust her, she has no friends and even worse, she is the target of bullying.

Cadence knows her senior year is going to be horrible.  She doesn't have anyone.  No one has her back.  She's accepted her fate and has decided to just get through this year, graduate and never come back.

Enter Mark Connelly, her Calculus teacher.  If you say you've never had a fantasy about one of your teachers, I call bullshit, or your teachers have all been hideous.  Everyone has that student-teacher fantasy in high school.


"I wanted him to stop saying my name so much.  I wanted him to stop being so kind.  It bordered inappropriate, and I realized I liked it too much."

Mr. Connelly is cute, sweet and knows that there is something bothering Cadence.  Yes...I'm going to refer to him as Mr. Connelly, because that is so much hotter...but anyway.  He is nice to her and she is appreciative of his kindness, especially since everyone else is so cruel to her.  She starts to develop a school girl crush on him and no way expects him to feel the same way.

"Well, that was decided.  This was more than a silly schoolgirl crush.  This was deeply disturbing infatuation."

Mr. Connelly's random acts of kindness are not random at all.  He has feelings for Cadence, even though he knows he could lose everything if he acts on it.  Luckily for us...he acts on it and it makes for a story that you cannot stop reading.


"Love comes in all kinds of packages.  Some are neatly tied up, and some are messy.  It doesn't mean that the messy ones aren't every bit as good."

I totally had the hots for Mr. Connelly.  He was sweet but hot teacher definitely knew how to turn it up a notch and push all of the right buttons.  You swoon over his sweetness...but when he gets angry, hot damn...you are pushed over the edge.  You don't even care that the relationship is all kinds of wrong at that point.

If you've read Going Under  by S. Walden, you know that she isn't afraid to push the boundaries when it comes to writing stories about high schoolers.  

I made the mistake of deciding to just read the first chapter in hopes that it would help me fall asleep.  Well, here I am, 5:15am writing a review because I needed to let everyone know that they had to read this book.  

I.  Could.  Not.  Stop.  I had to find out what was going to happen to them.  You find yourself rooting for them, even though you know it's wrong.  She's a senior in high school, he's her teacher.  You want them to work out, but you know shit is going to hit the fan.  You know that from the first chapter.  That damn first chapter sucks you in and you don't stop until you find out how everything falls apart.

This is the first book of the series, so just know going into it that there is more to the story.  I for one, will be stalking the internet for any update as to when the next book is going to be released.  


My rating:
5 totally hot for teacher stars


Source:  Self-purchased


S. Walden used to teach English before making the best decision of her life by becoming a full-time writer. She lives in Georgia with her very supportive husband who prefers physics textbooks over fiction and has a difficult time understanding why her characters must have personality flaws. She is wary of small children, so she has a Westie instead. Her dreams include raising chickens and owning and operating a beachside inn on the Gulf Coast (chickens included). When she's not writing, she's thinking about it.

She loves her fans and loves to hear from them. Email her at swaldenauthor@hotmail.com and follow her blog at http://swaldenauthor.blogspot.com where you can get up-to-date information on her current projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment